Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day #11 What's in a name?


Craziest thing these days....people at work are calling me the"bee lady" and asking all kinds of questions regarding honeybees. I just love it!!


Nevermind, I have not been a beekeeper a full year yet and never mind I only have 2 hives, and nevermind my bees had no surplus honey to share with me this year....My picture has been in the local newspaper and my talking self on the local TV news, so there you have it: I'm a bee lady.


When the anesthesiologists I work with tell my patients "you are going to feel a bee sting" when they inject the local anesthetic --I ask them if they've ever been stung by a bee, or was it REALLY a wasp or yellow jacket...because...after all, honeybees are not hostile insects (unless you are trying to take what is theirs...) (I'm trying to 'take up for' the bees!!)


I'd be pretty darn hostile too if you try to take what is MINE....just ask me for it OK???


So, yes, I do talk to my bees--all 60,000 of them--collectively , of course. I like for them to know my voice, and bee glad I'm there. Is this ridiculously silly? Yes, I do beelieve it is....but I can pretend they are grateful for the mansion they live in, or the sugar-water I make especially for them since there are not many flowers blooming--haven't heard of a 'winter nectar-flow' in these parts. I am hopeful that next summer will be a banner year for honey aand that my bees make it through the winter to enjoy the summer!!


What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, and honey by any other name would taste as sweet! I don't mind being called the 'bee lady' 'cause I know who I really am!! ;0)




1 comment:

  1. I love that you talk to your bees!!! Do you think they can hear you? They might have too much wax beetween their ears!!! Oh I'm just buzzin' your chops;)

    ReplyDelete