Thursday, January 13, 2011

Numero Tres

I am having an ocular migraine as I 'keyboard' this...(I'm saying keyboard because I don't know if it is correct to use the term 'typing' when there are no more typewriters around.)

If you have never had an ocular migraine, let me try to describe it to you.

There is no pain at all. I know it is about to start when I am missing a part of my field of vision. When we got home from the beekeepers meeting, I noticed I could not read one of the headlines in the newspaper because some letters were 'whited out' as if a cloud was moving over the page...everywhere I turned my head, a blob of white occluded a part of the words...then it started to grow, except the white turned into a 'band of vibrant fluorescent colors-like that of a merited soldier's bar just above the pocket. the colors dance and vibrate in my field of vision and it is QUITE disconcerting.

I ate my bowl of granola with my eyes closed...closing my eyes does NOT 'do away' with the band of colors gyrating . Closing my eyes just lets me see the colors and the shape of the thing clearly.

The first time this happened to me, I went to the eye doctor who explained that it was an ocular migraine. It lasted a couple of hours. I was at work. It has happened three or four times since then---a span of 13-14 years. One time it only lasted 15 minutes.....

and wouldn't you know it--this one is gone now...lasted only 30 minutes!!

Yay!!

I hope this is as close to an ocular migraine as you ever get!!

2 comments:

  1. All of my migraines have been the painful kind, except for once...I was in fourth grade in the library at Gaines school, and now I know what was happening was an ocular migraine! It was CRAZY! ..it didn't last very long, though. Glad yours is over already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had several of these over the last 2 years... They really scared me at first! Also, mine often turn into to true headaches after 30 minutes-1 hour which is never fun...

    ReplyDelete